The system of ecological safety
JSC Northern Shipping Company takes full responsibility in undertaking adequate measures in order to prevent
any cases of environmental pollution during navigation. The Company strictly follows the demands of the World
and National environmental protection legislation. This legislation is being carefully observed and whenever
it changes, all needed measures are being taken to meet the new requirements.
Environmental protection, as well as safe working conditions, is of the highest priority for JSC NSC and the Company assumes full control over the process of running all the procedures to protect the environment, which are placed above all commercial advantages.
The Company follows a simple rule: "A safe motor vessel is an environmentally friendly one".
The board of directors of Northern Shipping Company has acquired special environmental responsibilities on a voluntary basis. In strict accordance with these duties the Company assumes control over its activities' ecological indicators and annually publishes ecological reports on the web.
NSC voluntary activities with ecological trends
- Monitoring the following indicators of NSC activities:
- the indicators of NSC activity connected with "input parameters" (fuel, electricity, and water consumption);
- the indicators of NSC activity connected with "output parameters" (all manner of wastes);
- information on measures and costs aimed at the protection of environment;
- the outline of the Company's inner structure of responsibility distribution concerning the ecological aspects of NSC work.
- To publish accounts on the official JSC NSC website (www.ansc.ru) for all the above mentioned parameters on annual basis with the deadline being February the 3rd after the accounting year reporting date.
The method of calculating JSC NSC activities' rates (mentioned previously in part I) is the following:
- The rates for the input parameters:
- 1.1 Fuel consumption:
- for the motor vessels - in accordance with the intranet computer program allowing to observe this index on daily basis;
- for the inland headquarters - according to the accounting data.
- 1.2 Water consumption - as shown by the water counter.
- 1.3 Electricity consumption - according to the electricity supply meters.
- The rates for the output parameters:
- 2.1 Atmosphere contamination factor:
- the total amount of the transport fleet's CO2 emission, expressed by Energy Efficiency Operational Indicator (EEOI) (the way of its calculation is presented in Appendix 1);
- the total amount of the boiler house's contaminants emission, calculated by "Computing technique of contaminants discharged into the atmosphere as the result of firing in the tanks with the output of less than 30 thousand tonnes of steam per hour" (approved by Goskomekologiya of Russian Federation on 09.07.1999).
Appendix 1 The method of Energy Efficiency Operational Indicator (EEOI) calculation (in accordance with International Maritime Organization's Guidelines MEPC.1/Circ.684 dated 17.08.2009)
The basic expression for Energy Efficiency Operational Indicator (EEOI) for a year is defined as:
, in tonnes CO2 / (tonnes • nautical miles); where:
j - is the fuel type;
i - is the voyage number;
n - is the number of voyages during the year;
FCij- is the mass of consumed fuel j at voyage i (tonnes);
CFj - is the fuel mass to CO2 mass conversion factor for fuel j (cf. the table below):
|Type of fuel||Reference||Carbon content||CF,(t-CO2/t-Fuel)|
|1. Diesel/Gas Oil||ISO 8217 Grades DMX through DMC||0.875||3.206000|
|2. Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO)||ISO 8217 Grades RME through RMK||0.85||3.114400|
Di - is the distance in nautical miles corresponding to the cargo carried.